Thursday, June 11, 2015

Bloggin' Ain't Easy...

Image result for writing

It has been quite some time since my last post and I felt like I should probably explain why. I have run into a sort of "writer's block", nothing was really inspiring me anymore to write. So I wanted to kind of share the back story on how and why I started blogging.

I originally started this blog because I have always loved to write. I wanted to be a Journalism major when I first started college. I aspired to be Andie Anderson: How-To Girl from How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days. I always had that fantasy of working at a magazine, like Cosmopolitan, and living a fabulous life in New York City (I blame the entertainment industry for this). I quickly realized I really only enjoyed writing when it was for fun, not when it was for work. 

Then, about 2 or 3 years ago I started watching makeup tutorials on YouTube. Mainly Jaclyn Hill, which I'm sure comes as no surprise to most of you. I instantly became obsessed with makeup and beauty products. Gradually, I also became obsessed with Lifestyle and Beauty blogs. I wanted to have that. I loved the sleek designs of them, but mostly the fun and interesting things they wrote about. It was like having your girlfriends there to talk about love, celebrities, and life hacks all in one convenient place that I could access whenever I wanted to. It made me realize I wasn't alone in my obsessions and that felt nice. So I thought a blog would be a good fit for me. I could do this. I could write about beauty products I loved and share the random things that brought a smile to my face each day. A perfect creative outlet for someone like me. 

So that brought me here: Brunette Bias. Once I started really researching blogs and how to do them I became slightly overwhelmed. There is SO much more to blogging than just writing. Which platform to use? What format or background theme do you want? What font? What color? and what the heck is SEO? etc, etc. It is a bit daunting. I started writing anyway but I kept comparing my blog to other well-known blogs and got discouraged.There are just so many lifestyle blogs these days, which is great, but I want to make mine different. I want it to be a place where readers come to get advice or suggestions on the things they are interested in. I want to be on their level of experience. I need to learn that comparison is the root of all frustration and that is what was happening to me.

I know basically the only people who read my blog are my immediate family and then a few select friends of mine. And I know a blog following doesn't develop overnight, it is something that takes time and something that a major amount of work goes into. I realize I need to be patient and just keep trying and writing what comes naturally to me or this will never work. 

I am making it my goal to do more research on blogs, how they work, and what I can do to develop and make mine better. I am hoping to even go to a blogging conference with my friend and future fellow blogger, Annie, in September to really get into it. Until then, I hope to be back VERY soon with some new and exciting posts

If you are still reading this: thanks for sticking it out with me!

Love you_Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment